Featured Post

Friday, September 21, 2012

Red cabbage PH indicator

So my entire home smells awful right now, like someone's been boiling red cabbage all morning.. Okay, maybe not all morning but far longer than any sane person would..

Oh wait, that was me :P

DD is still working her way though REAL Science Odyssey, Chemistry Level 1. Today for Unit 7, we had to create PH indicator using red cabbage.


I cut the cabbage up, there was no way for kids to help with this one. The cabbage was far too firm, it was difficult for me to cut up! 



Then we added 4 cups of boiling water over the cut up cabbage leaves. Once it was cooled and strained, this is what we were left with! 


As you can see, the bases cause the indicator to turn green or blue, and the acids cause it to turn pink or red. It actually WORKED! 

Now if I can just figure out how to get the smell out of my house, I will be a happy mom :) 

No comments: