Featured Post

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Boy Who Stole the Stars...

I wanted to write a post to tell you about this wonderful play I saw on Friday night, at The Broken Leg Stage, here in Fresno. I have never written a review of a play before, so I worried myself all in to a tizzy that I would sound foolish. I don't want to sound foolish, as you can imagine, I just wanted to tell people about this awesome play I saw, so they too might decide to go and see said play. So that is what I am going to do, not do some review like you can get on the Beehive, since let's face it, I just don't write that way :)

First off, let me tell you about how much I love the Broken Leg Stage? It's a super intimate space, only 50 seats! It's a black box stage so as you can imagine a lot of the "set" is in the audiences mind. I really think that is fantastic, just makes the experience so much more interesting.

Now, here is the part where I make a confession. The reason I went to see this wonderful play, aside from my desire to support local arts, was the little girl who lives next door is one of the stars of the play :)

This is Brooke, she stars as Genevieve.

Now all that aside, I really did love this play! It is a very touching story, touching enough that I would recommend one pack tissues in their pocket, just in case. This play was meant to appeal to adults and children, so while it tackles some very difficult issues, it never talks down to the children nor is the dialogue so basic that adults will be bored. There are some great elements of fantasy through out the production, and it moves along at a pace that would keep an older child's interest. This is truly family friendly entertainment.

Plays 7:30 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays through May 28. $12. Tickets available through: brownpapertickets.com, or at the box office.




No comments: