Featured Post

Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 4 of my 29 Days of Giving

On the same broadcast where I learned about the CARE organization, they offered a great idea for making donations to local food banks. Most food banks see the majority of their donations in the winter around the holidays. Spring and Summer, donations are much thinner. Now with the cost of food rising, there is less and less food in those banks to help the hungry here in our own neighborhood.

To help with that, I am going to commit to make a donation to our local food bank at the end of the month. I will gather the food for the donations, by everytime I am at the grocery store or at say Target where they have groceries, I will add a can of food, a bag of rice, or some other shelf staple food to my basket to be donated later. One little thing each shopping trip won't break our bank, but can make for a sizable donation at the end of the month (especially if you go to Target as often as I do). If there are any good specials, BOGO, or the like, I will purchase more to go to the food bank.

Anyone wanna join me?

1 comment:

Nate's Mom said...

I love this idea. Crazy how we often don't think of such a simple thing. It would be a good idea to have the kids choose an item at each shopping trip too (I try not to take them any more than I have to, lol). I love to include the kids in things like this. Thanks for sharing.

Check out my latest blog.

Sheri