Featured Post

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The things we think of... (STAR WARS SPOILERS)

I was watching Star Wars III ~ Revenge of the Sith last night with DD and DH. In that movie, Padme, dies while in childbirth. Now, they make a point to stress that she doesn't die because of childbirth, but because she "has no will to live." Okay, weird, but I guess I can buy that sort of. Regardless, as I am watching this woman, in some sort of very strange birth contraption, being attended by a robot that doesn't even seem to speak english, I am thinking to myself, don't they have better technology then this yet??? Keep in mind, that for all their Jedi powers, no one seemed to be able to figure out that she was carrying twins either!

So, the question I was pondering to myself and that I read on Mothering.com, if you could, would you have your babies transported out of your body? Assuming of course, that this has been proven to be 100% safe, there is something in place to clear mucus, and everything, so that the actual transport would not pose any risk?

Of course there will be the techno geeks out there who will point out that if you did that, it wouldn't truly be your baby, as in the process of transportationn, bodies are scanned and saved at amolecularr level, and then simultaneously destroyed/recreated in the new place. So that there are not more then one of a given person running around. But let's just leave that part of the argument out for the moment, okay? I acknowledge that it would be important in making a final decision, but let's just not worry about it.

The real argument is, is birth a necessary rite of passage? Having been through two less then desirable birth experiences, I can't honestly say that they did anything to make me stronger, improved my mothering skills or otherwise leave me the better for having had them. The only thing I can put my finger on that they gave me, a building anxiety towards my pending birth. And that's not a good thing.

So, I think that yes, were the technology available, and proven to be 100% safe, I think I might just have my baby teleported to my waiting arms, instead of going through the birth process again.

Not a terribly crunchy point of view I know, but I am the first to say, when it comes to pain, I am not the crunchiest box of cereal on the shelf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're weird, and I mean that in the most loving way possible. :)