Featured Post

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Life as a fanwoman


Okay, I am going to date myself here, ready.. I am going to be 45 in November.. Yep, 45.. And I still dress the same as I did when I was 20, maybe even more geeky, if I really think about it. And I was thinking about a while back when my friend Heather jokingly pointed out that I had my fandoms prominently displayed all over me. It was true, I was wearing a Supernatural shirt, a Doctor Who necklace and carrying an Alice in Wonderland purse at the time. That's how I like to dress. I realize by the time most people reach middle age (gasp!!) they have long since stopped dressing themselves from the Think Geek t-shirt section (unless you're my brother, Hi Tom!). But not me. And between you and me, I don't plan to change anytime soon. 

I embrace the title of Fangirl (though I prefer Fanwoman). I am a Fangirl! I am a fan of so many shows, books, movies, muliverses and more, that sometimes I can't even keep track of them all! But the best part of my fandoms, is I make friends. People talk to me because I am wearing my Sam and Dean shirt, or they comment on my Doctor Who necklace. Once I was in Sacramento with my newest Doctor Who purse (made by my friend Kristn) and a woman stopped me to ask if I liked Doctor Who! See, meeting people all the time, via the power of the fandom. 

Now I mentioned I have a lot of fandoms that I keep track of. Here is a short, but entirely incomplete list:

  1. Doctor Who
  2. Sherlock
  3. Supernatural
  4. Arrow
  5. The Walking Dead
  6. Game of Thrones
  7. Marvel Universe
  8. DC Universe
  9. Harry Potter
I am sure there are a ton I am forgetting. 

My fandoms give me a something to look forward to, a new episode, a new movie or book. My fandoms connect me with people around the world who I might never have otherwise met. Once I was live tweeting a Duran Duran concert, and met Suzi Parker, a writer and awesome person, who chatted with me about Duran Duran all evening. 

So when I look at my overflowing T-shirt drawers (yep, there are two) and see there are only a few shirts that aren't black and/or fandom related, sometimes I think, wow, I really need to get a grown-up wardrobe. Then I remember, FUCK THAT, I dress for me, and if I want to wear a shirt with Deadpool eating a taco on it, I am gonna! 

I am a fanwoman, hear me roar!! 

And now some pics, because did you really think I was gonna post about my babies and not post pics? :P


1 comment:

Mel said...

47 and totally fangirl over Supernatural and Sherlock!